Skip to main content

An Updated Update

Excitement and terror. Those two feelings were playing a heated game of Tug o’ war on my uncertain state of mind. Then, they met up with thankfulness and guilt, for a round of doubles. We were leaving the NICU. Why the battle of emotions? Here is the current update on Annette, Charlotte, and the rest of us Prescotts. 
No more goodbyes and counting the days until we will see the boys next; this week we got to go home! It happened so fast. During the weekend we trained how to insert and maintain Charlotte's NG tube on our own, and then, badda-bing, badda-boom, we were discharged! We gathered our belongings and walked straight out the door with baby girls in tow, just as I had imagined it from inside alcove #3553, for 47 days. It would have been all sunshine and roses too, if not for the previous day.
The baby didn't make it. I didn’t need to see the blotchy cheeks and tear-stained faces of family members to put it together; in the NICU you just listen to the beeps. Dings and alarms are frequent, but the beeps say it all. Loud and regular ones, are not a good sign. The atmosphere gets busy and quiet, and nurses don't make eye contact as frequently. Alone, I counted each hour pass as the continuous beeps accompanied my intervals of feeding and pumping throughout the night and into the early morning. With each passing hour the reality of Charlotte's fragility was slammed into my face. And then, it was silent. The fight was over.
After 47 days, my ID bracelets were cracked and faded; that morning, so was my morale. When I heard we would be discharged, I was excited, yet also terrified of leaving our safe, sterile environment. I wanted to hide from all germs by locking the door and drawing the shades. Fear is a fast moving vehicle isn’t is? This concern is not unjustified. Charlotte's heart defect has made her high risk. Her breathing is so labored, even catching a minor cold would be detrimental. She exerts all her energy taking those breathes and in turn can sparse stay awake, hence the feeding tube and her high-calorie fortification. She qualifies for a rare and expensive injection, limited to those whose lives would be endangered by getting sick. After witnessing a family lose a child, I can no longer afford the naïveté of what is at stake.
Simultaneously, I am overcome with both thankfulness and guilt. We have been upheld by the body of Christ so many times and in a multitude of ways throughout this season. God strategically placed people in the NICU to encourage us and remind us of His goodness. God used the people in our church to feed and care for my children, help build our home alongside my husband and care for me in my solitude with texts, messages, and lactation cookies. For every time you have heard someone criticize a congregation, remember this: our church community, which extends past the walls of MCC (our literal church), rallied on our behalf and put love into action. 
With the kindness and assistance of our friends (old and new), and don't forget our incredible family members, we walked out of the Salem Hospital with our sanity, and that is why I am now burdened with guilt. We can’t have visitors. Not even the people I adore the most. Not the women who packed my clothes, not the men who painted our new walls. I have to close my doors to the same community that opened their hearts. For everyone who wants to lovingly cuddle our babies, I have to ask for an extension. Once Charlotte has her heart surgery, and we are free and clear of flu season, I will eagerly invite you into our home. I apologize for this delay and hope for your understanding.
Don't confuse our caution for lack of affection or gratitude. Amidst the excitement of going home, the terror of our new medical vulnerability, the thankfulness of our support system, and the guilt of withholding visits, I have also experienced an incredible occurrence: the power of love in action. We have exited the NICU with two precious daughters, and a renewed and amplified desire to join you in being the hands and feet of Jesus. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Children at Church?

Cody and I have been volunteering at Falls City Christian Church  for a couple months now, where we take turns each month, teaching a lesson to the kiddos. Not to brag, but we have discovered the keys to a successful lesson: games and candy. This month, I chose to stray from the typical 'bible story' theme and go over how to pray in general. Praying is such a beautiful, powerful and important aspect of our relationship with God. I mean come on, we stinkin' get free 24 hr access to talk to the CREATOR OF THE UNIVERSE. This trumps having Theo James's personal number on my speed dial, which I do; in my dreams. Come Sunday, I was giddy with excitement to teach my lesson! My growing anticipation was stunted however when alas, no children attended church that morning. Bummer eh? Not anymore! because luckily, I have this nifty little blog. So here it is; a 'would-have-been-epic' lesson on prayer! Open your hand and take a look, there should be fiv

God Speaks Through Skinny Fingers

When I had Easton, I think he zapped such a large amount of calcium from my bones that my fingers shrunk. I have no medical knowledge to support this claim, but for whatever reason, all ten digits are significantly more slim. While I have no objection to daintier, more feminine hands, it does pose one problem: my wedding ring no longer fits. For awhile I tried wearing it regardless; but the first time I enthusiastically told a story, using my hands to talk, that circular symbol of unity went soaring. Cody inspected the situation and concluded that, yep, he would need to take it to get re-sized. He planned to visit the jeweler in Portland right away. I set my beautiful sparkly band, so familiar to my left ring finger, in it's little box for safe keeping. 'He won't be gone long,' I comforted my now naked ,tan-lined finger. Eight months later.... Not wearing my wedding ring wasn't doing it for me. First off, I got hit on several times by some creep

Make it Rain, its Shower time!

Bank Baby Party! Among the awesome people in my life, are my coworkers ( now past-coworkers *frown . They took the time to put together a Bank Baby Shower-my  first  shower in fact! I wish I had the pictures from it to show how fun it was. We played a game where you draw a baby on a plate above your head, guess the pregos waist with ribbon and an acrostic baby name game. Surprisingly, the boys smashed the competition. Everyone was so thoughtful and generous! Nadia, the ring leader of the event and lover of all that is baby, truly out did herself and set the bar high!  A Little Hometown Lovin' My mother, living on the other side of the mountains, sweetly wanted to throw me a baby shower for the people living in Prineville (my stomping grounds). Cody and I will gladly accept any reason to visit Central Oregon! I was so excited to see all who came and amazed at how beautiful and fun the shower was! Friends, games, treats, gifts, sangria and one Teeter Totter is al